Aviva Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » States » Minnesota » Cities & Towns » Caledonia

Caledonia is the county seat of Houston County, Minnesota. Platted in 1854, the town was named by its founder, Colonel Samuel McPhail, for the ancient Roman word for Scotland. A post office was established in 1855, and the town was incorporated in 1870 and reincorporated in 1889. The first churches to be organized in Caledonia were the Methodist Episcopal, which held services as early as 1854, building its first church structure in 1866. Next was the Presbyterian Church, which was set up in 1863. The first schoolhouse, built in 1854, may have been the first in the county. The two main routes through the city are Minnesota Highways 44 and 76. Nearby communities include Black Hammer, Brownsville, Freeburg, Hokah, Houston, Newhouse, Reno, Riceford, Sheldon, Spring Grove, Wilmington, and Yucatan. La Crosse, Wisconsin is just over twenty miles northeast of Caledonia.

 

 

Recommended Resources


Search for Caledonia on Google, Bing, or Yahoo!