Aviva Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » States » Minnesota » Cities & Towns » Freeport

Freeport, Minnesota is in the northeastern corner of Oak Township, in Stearns County, Minnesota. The community was developed along the Great Northern Railway. John Hoeschen, a German immigrant, opened a store there, while his brother, Joseph, built the first hotel in the village. These were the first businesses in the community, although there were already farms in the area, the first built by Henry Wahls, who owned the land upon which the townsite was built, while the east end, upon which the church and school were built, was the property of Frank Benolken. Originally, the village was named Oak Station, but it was later changed to Freeport, probably for the Illinois city by that name, which was the hometown of the Benolkens. Freeport was incorporated as a village in 1892, and the first sidewalk and oak plank walk were put down in 1894, stretching from the Woling Hotel to the church. A post office was established in 1879, with John Hoeschen as the first postmaster. By 1910, Freeport had a population of 450. Freeport is situated along Interstate Highway 94, which is also US Highway 52, while County Road 157 passes through the center of town, roughly paralleling the interstate. Nearby communities include Albany, Greenwald, Meire Grove, Melrose, New Munich, and St. Anthony. St. Cloud is about thirty miles east and slightly south of Freeport.

 

 

Recommended Resources


Search for Freeport on Google, Bing, or Yahoo!