Aviva Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » States » Minnesota » Cities & Towns » Grygla

Located in Valley Township, Marshall County, Minnesota, the small city of Grygla is served by Minnesota Highway 89 and County Road 54. Minnesota Highways 1 and 219 are nearby. Carmel is east of Grygla, and Gatzke is north of the city. Grygla is situated between the Agassiz National Wildlife Refuge to the west and Beltrami Island State Forest to the east. Since its population was first recorded in 1920, the city's population has ranged from a low of 147 in 1930 to a peak population of 228 in 2000, with a general trend toward an increase in population. The community's history goes back to 1898, when A.O. Fladeland and Ole Newton opened a small store about a half mile northwest of the current townsite. By 1930, the village had become concentrated at its current site. When a post office was established in the early 1900s, the townspeople had not agreed on a name for the community so the post inspector, whose name was Count Gryglavitch, named the town for himself. The town's first school was opened in 1901, and was replaced by a larger building the following year. A cooperative creamery was opened in 1906, and the Grygla Hospital opened in 1912.

 

 

Recommended Resources


Search for Grygla on Google, Bing, or Yahoo!