Aviva Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » States » Minnesota » Cities & Towns » Marine on St. Croix

Marine on St. Croix, Minnesota borders on the Wisconsin state line, in northeastern Washington County. Minnesota Highway 95 is the main route through the city. Nearby localities include Arcola, Carnelian Junction, Copay, Maple Island, Otisville, and Scandia, as well as East Farmington and Somerset, Wisconsin. Founded in 1839, the town was originally known as Marine Mills, and was the site of the first commercial sawmill on the St. Croix River, which forms the Minnesota-Wisconsin border, as well as the first in Minnesota. The mill began operations in 1839, powered first by water and then by steam, suspending operations in 1895. Although the buildings were demolished and the equipment sold, the footigs of the buildings are now a historic site operated by the Minnesota Historical Society, which also maintains other historic places, such as the General Store, built in 1870, the Stone House Museum, constructed in 1872, and the Village Hall, built in 1888. Today, the city looks much as it did in the 1800s. A road was constructed from Stillwater to Marine Mills in 1841, and the first government road was completed to Marine Mills in 1853, at which time four-horse coaches first made an appearance on the village streets. In 1856, a ferry went into operation, as the only means of crossing the St. Croix River between Osceola and Stillwater, and was in operation for about a century. The first school was opened in 1853. Marine Township was organized in 1858, absorbing Vasa Township in 1860, and incorporated in 1875. The village was renamed Marine on St. Croix when it was incorporated in 1950.

 

 

Recommended Resources


Search for Marine on St. Croix on Google, Bing, or Yahoo!