Aviva Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » States » Mississippi » Cities & Towns » Brandon

The city of Brandon, Mississippi is the county seat of Rankin County. Prior to the arrival of European-Americans, the area was inhabited by the Choctaw people. When they were forced to cede their land to the United States in the 1830s, the area near the river was developed for cotton plantations, although the area remained sparsely populated until the mid-1900s. A post office was opened in Brandon in 1829, and the community was named for Gerard C. Brandon, Mississippi's first native governor. Brandon is surrounded by the communities of Greenfield, Langford, Luckney, Monterey, and Pelahatchie. Jackson, Mississippi is about thirteen miles to the west, and Pearl is about nine miles in the same direction.

Categories

Education & Instruction

Faith & Spirituality

 

 

Recommended Resources


Search for Brandon on Google, Bing, or Yahoo!