Aviva Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » States » Mississippi » Cities & Towns » Cleveland

Cleveland, Mississippi is one of two county seats for Bolivar County. Settled in 1869, as people began moving inland from the Mississippi River, the community was named for President Grover Cleveland, although it was originally named Coleman’s Station for Moses W. Coleman, who built the first home in the area and, at some point, it was known as Fontaine and as Sims, for Rueben T. Sims, who owned part of the land upon which the town was built. Cleveland was incorporated in 1886, and a post office was established there in 1887. An early impetus for the town’s success was the Louisville, New Orleans and Texas Railroad, which once ran through the town. There are two markers for the Mississippi Blues Trail in Cleveland, one recognizing Chrisman Street, which was once the center of African-American business and social life within the community, the other commemorating Blues musician, W.C. Handy. US Highway 61/278 pass through Cleveland, intersecting Missouri Highway 8. Nearby communities include Boyle, Halstead, Kimball Lake, Laughlin, and Renova. Clarksdale is about thirty-five miles northeast of Cleveland.

Categories

Faith & Spirituality

Health & Public Safety

 

 

Recommended Resources


Search for Cleveland on Google, Bing, or Yahoo!