Aviva Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » States » Mississippi » Cities & Towns » Forest

The county seat of Scott County, Mississippi is the city of Forest, which is accessed by Interstate Highway 20, US Highway 80, Mississippi Highway 21, Mississippi Highway 35, and Mississippi Highway 501. The city is surrounded by the Bienville National Forest. Nearby communities include Fikestown, Gum Spring, Hillsboro, Muskegon, Norris, Raworth, Singleton Settlement, and Usrytown. Jackson, Mississippi is about forty-five miles to the west, while Meridian is about fifty miles to the east. The area was settled by European-Americans following the Treaty of Dancing Rabbit Creek, which stipulated that the Choctaw leave the area. The town grew up around a depot established by the Mississippi-Alabama Railroad in the 1850s. The first seat of government for Scott County was Berryville, a town that no longer exists, about four miles southwest of Forest. The city of Forest was chartered in 1860, although it was initially spelled Forrest. The current spelling of the city’s name was adopted in 1930. At the time of the Civil War, the county seat was in Hillsboro, but the courthouse and much of the town were burned during Union General Sherman’s March to the Sea, after which the seat of government was moved to Forest. Currently, several poultry processing plants in the area provide a significant part of the community’s economy.

 

 

Recommended Resources


Search for Forest on Google, Bing, or Yahoo!