Aviva Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » States » Mississippi » Cities & Towns » Hollandale

The city of Hollandale is in mid-eastern Mississippi, in Washington County. The city was incorporated in 1890, and named for Dr. Holland, the original owner of the land upon which the city was built, who gave the railroad a right-of-way in return for having the town named for him. It is uncertain just when the community was first settled by European-Americans, but land deeds had been filed as early as 1823, and a Dr. Thomas J. Gaddis practiced medicine there in 1860. A one-room schoolhouse was built there by Emory E.P. Simmons in 1891, one of the first to serve African-American children in the area, and used until 1923 when a larger brick schoolhouse was constructed. Simmons worked there as an educator and administrator for fifty-two years, and Simmons High School is named in his honor. Hollandale was almost completely destroyed by fire in 1904, but was rebuilt. During the Civil Rights movement, the city passed an ordinance forbidding white Civil Rights workers from living with black citizens in the city limits. Hollandale is accessed by US Highway 61, which runs north-south through the eastern side of the city. Nearby communities include Darlove, Estill, Overby, Percy, Warsaw, and Willet. Jackson, Mississippi is about ninety-five miles southeast of Hollandale.

 

 

Recommended Resources


Search for Hollandale on Google, Bing, or Yahoo!