Aviva Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » States » Mississippi » Cities & Towns » Mathiston

Mathiston, Mississippi is located mostly in southeastern Webster County, although a southern portion of the town extends into Choctaw County. The community was formed around a Georgia Pacific Railroad depot that was established in 1888, on eighty acres of land formerly belonging to George Polk Clegg. The town was situated on the old Natchez Trace, with several Choctaw Indian mounds, as a Choctaw settlement had been there in the early 1800s. The new town was first named Mathis Town, for William G. Mathis, who had purchased the land from Clegg. At the time that the town was surveyed, there were only three residents there: George Polk Clegg, H.M. Hardin, and Luke DeVore. In 1886, Woodland Seminary opened in Mathiston. It was renamed Bennett Academy in 1897, and Wood College in 1936, before closing in 2003. The campus buildings are listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Mathiston received a growth spurt when the thriving town of Spring Valley, established on the old Natchez Trace, was bypassed by the railroad by about two miles, after which nearly entire town relocated to Mathiston. By 1890, the town had a post office, and was incorporated that same year. The original downtown section of Mathiston is now primarily a residential area. Mathiston is adjacent to Maben, to the northeast. Other nearby communities include Adaton, Bellefontaine, Clarkson, Cumberland, Eupora, Grady, Sherwood, Walthall, and Williams. Starkville, Mississippi is about twenty miles east of Mathiston.

 

 

Recommended Resources


Search for Mathiston on Google, Bing, or Yahoo!