Aviva Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » States » Mississippi » Cities & Towns » New Hebron

New Hebron is a small town in northeastern Lawrence County, in the lower part of Mississippi. The town came into being in the early 1900s when a branch of the Gulf and Ship Island Railroad was constructed through the area. Franklin L. Riley, a merchant in Hebron, two miles to the east, contributed land to the railroad with the condition that the railroad would place a depot on his property. The new station was named New Hebron. Hebron, its predecessor, was a prosperous community in the early 1800s, but when the railroad bypassed it in favor of the New Hebron site, stores, businesses and homes were moved to New Hebron, where the firsts train pulled into its station in 1904, and the new town was chartered in 1905. Nearby communities include Clem, Gwinville, Mount Carmel, Oma, Pinola, Prentiss, Rockport, Rosella, Schley, Shivers, Silver Creek, and Wanilla. The capital city of Jackson, Mississippi is just over fifty miles northwest of New Hebron.

 

 

Recommended Resources


Search for New Hebron on Google, Bing, or Yahoo!