Aviva Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » States » Mississippi » Cities & Towns » Shannon

The town of Shannon, Mississippi is located along State Highway 145, US Highway 45, and US Highway 278. Chipewa Creek flows through the southern part of the town, while Coonewah Creek flows through the north side, and Town Creek flows along the eastern portion of the town. Nearby communities include Brewer, Leotis, Nettleton, Old Union, Pine Grove, Poplar Springs, Richmond, and Verona Heights. Tupelo, Mississippi is about eleven miles north of Shannon. The town is named for Samuel Shannon, who purchased the land upon which it was built from Chickasaw Chief Itawamba in the early 1800s, building a cabin and a farm there. Following the Treaty of Pontotoc and the expulsion of most of the Chickasaw people, other settlers began moving into the area. Constantine Shannon brought strawberry plants grown in Shannon to Plant City, Florida, which led to the creation of a multi-million dollar industry in Plant City. The first church in Shannon was built in 1839. When the Mobile and Ohio Railroad came through the county in the 1850s, its tracks were laid south of the original townsite. Most of its businesses and future residences were built nearer to the railroad, which became the new town center. Shannon was incorporated in 1860 when a post office was established there. Originally part of Itawamba County, the town became part of Lee County when it was organized in 1866, and is on a ridge in the southern part of the county. By 1915, Shannon had a Coca-Cola bottling facility, a corn elevator, grain elevator, and three cotton gins. One of the town’s original buildings, the Old Francis Store, is now a restaurant owned by the town. However, most of its downtown section no longer exists, and only a few original buildings remain. In 2005, General Atomics opened a manufacturing and test facility in Shannon.

 

 

Recommended Resources


Search for Shannon on Google, Bing, or Yahoo!