Aviva Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » States » Mississippi » Cities & Towns » Vaiden

Situated in southeastern Carroll County, Mississippi, the town of Vaiden was named for Dr. Cowles Mead Vaiden, a local doctor and landowner, who gave the right of way through his land to the Central Railroad connecting Jackson, Mississippi with Memphis, Tennessee, and establishing a depot in 1857. The old Choctaw town of Shongalo a mile east to be near the railroad, and the town’s name was changed to Vaiden when it was incorporated in 1860. During the American Civil War, the Vaiden Artillery and the Vaiden Guards were organized in Vaiden, both serving the Confederacy. After the war, Confederate soldiers had to apply to the federal government for a pardon, and things were tough for a long period of time. In 1965, the town’s limits were expanded north and south, and in 1970 the town expanded west along Highway 35. Over the years, Vaiden’s population has fluctuated but losses were followed by gains, yielding a fairly steady population. Earl lBrewer, who was governor of Mississippi from 1912 to 1916, was born just outside Vaiden. Nearby communities include Acona, Beatty, Black Hawk, Coila, Emory, Gravel Hill, Hendrix, Kilmichael, Poplar Creek, Seven Pines, West, Winona, and Wiltshire. Greenwood, Mississippi is about thirty-three miles northwest of Vaiden.

 

 

Recommended Resources


Search for Vaiden on Google, Bing, or Yahoo!