Aviva Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » States » Mississippi » Cities & Towns » Walnut

Walnut, Mississippi is a town in northern Tippah County, one of Mississippi’s northern tier counties, bounded by Tennessee. The town was formed in 1872 on land that was made available for settlement through the Chickasaw Indian Cession of 1836. Founded by Henry Hopkins, the town was first incorporated as Hopkins, but its name was changed to Walnut in 1876. Walnut was a stopping point along the railroad that ran from Middleton to Pontotoc, and the impetus for its name change came about when a barrel of whiskey was accidentally delivered to Hopkins rather than Hopkinsville, another village about a mile to the south. Never a large town, Walnut has a bank, library, city hall, school, grocery store, and other businesses and services, as well as some light industry. US Highway 72 runs east-west through Walnut, while Mississippi Highway 15 passes through the town, south to Tiplersville and Falkner, and north to Poor and Middleton, Tennessee. Other nearby communities include Ashland, Brody, Lone Pine, and Michigan City, in Mississippi, as well as Middleton, Pocahontas, Poor, Rogers Springs, and Saulsbury, in Tennessee. The Holly Springs National Park is west of Walnut, and Memphis, Tennessee is about seventy-five miles northwest of Walnut. An unincorporated community by the name of Walnut is in Quitman County, Mississippi. Any sites pertaining to that town may be listed here as well.

 

 

Recommended Resources


Search for Walnut on Google, Bing, or Yahoo!