Aviva Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » States » Missouri » Cities & Towns » Marshall

The city of Marshall, Missouri is the county seat of Saline County. The city was created in 1839 when the area was chosen as the seat of government for the county. Jeremiah O'Dell contributed sixty-five acres for the new town. After the first two courthouses in Marshall were destroyed by fire, the current building was built in 1882, and listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1977. During the American Civil War, Union troops were garrisoned in Marshall. In October of 1863, The Battle of Marshall pitted 1,800 troops under the command of General Egbert B. Brown against the attackers, under the command of Confederate Colonel Joseph O. Shelby and his 1,200 cavalrymen. The Union was able to turn back he Southern troops. In the 1920s and 1930s, the Nicholas-Beazley Airplane Company manufactures aircraft in Marshall, ending production in 1937, and a local museum highlights the historical role of this company, although the manufacturing facilities itself were dismantled in 2015. Missouri Valley College was founded in 1889, and affiliated with the Cumberland Presbyterian Church for a long while, although it is currently a private, four-year liberal arts college affiliated with the Presbyterian Church (USA). Marshall is east of Shackleford, southwest of Orearville, and northwest of Napton.

Categories

Faith & Spirituality

 

 

Recommended Resources


Search for Marshall on Google, Bing, or Yahoo!