Aviva Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » States » Missouri » Cities & Towns » Osage Beach

Osage Beach, Missouri was first known as Zebra, with a post office established in that name in 1886. Located along the river bottom, just east of where the Grand Glaize Bridge is today, there was little in Zebra but the post office, and that was flooded out when the Bagnell Dam was constructed in 1929 to 1931, creating the Lake of the Ozarks, one of North America’s largest man-made lakes. The Zebra post office was rebuilt on a nearby cliff, by the new lake. Making use of its new location near the body of water, the town’s name was changed to Osage Beach in 1935, although its boundaries were not established until the early 1960s. Osage Beach was incorporated as a city in 1959 but, due to discontent among its residents, it was disincorporated the following year, and was not reincorporated until 1965, as a fourth-class city. Its boundaries were established, and four wards were formed, two on each side of the Grand Glaize Bridge. Since then, new areas have been incorporated within the city, and the city’s economy is largely dependent on tourism and outdoor recreational opportunities afforded by its proximity to the Lake of the Ozarks. Most of Osage Beach is in Camden County, with a portion of the city on the east extending into Miller County. US Highway 54 passes through the city, which is south of the municipality of Lake Ozark, southeast of Village of Four Seasons, and adjacent to the Lake of the Ozarks State Park, on its southeast.

Categories

Education & Instruction

Faith & Spirituality

Places to Stay

 

 

Recommended Resources


Search for Osage Beach on Google, Bing, or Yahoo!