Aviva Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » States » Missouri » Cities & Towns » Pevely

Founded in September of 1860 by Charles S. Rankin, the city of Pevely is in Jefferson County, Missouri. The original name of the town was Pevely Springs, but was later shortened when it was incorporated in 1910. When the area was first settled by Joseph Bartholomew Herrington, who came there in 1799, the area was described as rough country, with a lot of prairies, and populated by Indians. Herrington’s son, William, was reportedly kidnapped by the Osage and held for four years. Pevely became a site along the St. Louis, Iron Mountain & Southern Railway, after which a hotel and saloon were established in 1860 and, by 1888, there were two general stores, a wagon shop, a church, and some homes, housing a population of one hundred and fifty. A post office was established soon afterwards. Pevely became a fourth-class city in 1953. Still standing in Pevely is the Captain Ziegler House, which served as a military hospital during the American Civil War. Pevely is situated along the western banks of the Mississippi River, and Interstate Highway 55 runs north-south through the eastern portion of the city. Immediately south of Pevely is Herculaneium, with Horine to the southwest.

 

 

Recommended Resources


Search for Pevely on Google, Bing, or Yahoo!