Aviva Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » States » Missouri » Cities & Towns » Platte Woods

Platte Woods is a small city in Platte County, near Kansas City, in western Missouri. Located just south of the Military Road, now known as Barry Road, that ran between the Liberty Arsenal and Fort Leavenworth, the area that became Platte Woods was developed by Ernest C. Thompson as the Garden Spot of Platte County in the 1930s. The development was originally an exclusive residential community offering lots an acre in size or larger. Prior to its development as a community or as a city, the land was deeded to Thomas Jacks in 1846 under the Homestead Act. Jacks used slave labor to build a two-story home on ten of his three hundred and twenty acres, as well as an adjacent one-story stone cabin for his slaves. The manor house burned in 1928, but the stone house is thought to be one of the oldest homes in Platte County. The land changed hands a few times before becoming part of the estate of Ernest Thompson. The community was chartered as the Platte Woods Improvement Association in 1938, as a village in 1946, and as a fourth-class city in 1954. Today, Platte Woods is accessed through Interstate Highway 29, which is also US Highway 71, as well as Missouri Highway 9, which becomes Prairie View Road within the city limits. The city is situated between Weatherby Lake to the west and Lake Waukomis to the east. Kansas City is just over eleven miles to the south.

 

 

Recommended Resources


Search for Platte Woods on Google, Bing, or Yahoo!