Aviva Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » States » Missouri » Cities & Towns » Ste. Genevieve

The city of Ste. Genevieve is the county seat of Ste. Genevieve County, Missouri. Founded by French Canadians in 1735, Ste. Genevieve was the first permanent settlement in Missouri, and among the first towns west of the Mississippi River. The French ceded that land that included Missouri to Great Britain in the Treaty that ended the French and Indian War. When King George II turned the captured French lands east of the Mississippi into an Indian Reserve, Creoles from Canada and east of the Mississippi moved into Ste. Genevieve and the surrounding area. During the 1770s, Ste. Genevieve was often raided by members of the Little Osage and Missouri tribes, stealing horses and other goods, but the fur trade created ties between the Indians and the people of Ste. Genevieve. The 1780s were a time of relative peace but, during the 1790s, the Big Osage conducted repeated raids on the town as well as on other Indian tribes in the area. Finally, a fort was built on the Osage River, which eased the tensions. Following a large flood in 1785, the town moved from its location on Mississippi River floodplain to its current location two miles north and a half mile inland. The Louisiana Purchase brought the town under the control of the United States in 1807. Ste. Genevieve bordered to the north by the small community of Thomure, and to the west by Mosher. St. Louis is just over sixty miles to the north.

Categories

Places to Stay

Things to Do & Places to Go

 

 

Recommended Resources


Search for Ste. Genevieve on Google, Bing, or Yahoo!