Aviva Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » States » Missouri » Cities & Towns » Sullivan

Overlapping into both Franklin County and Crawford County, the city of Sullivan, Missouri was created in the 1850s, although when its first post office was established in 1856, the town was named Mount Helicon, but it was changed to Sullivan when a railroad depot was opened there in 1859, for Stephen Sullivan, who donated the land for the railroad right-of-way and built the depot. The depot was burned in June of 1861, during the Americvan Civil War, and wasn’t rebuilt until 1897. Sullivan was incorporated as a fourth-class city in 1899. Sullivan is located along historic Route 66, and is primarily served by Interstate Highway 44. Meramec State Park is east of Sullivan, and nearby communities include West Sullivan, Miramiguoa Park, Stanton, St. Cloud, and Bourbon. The City of St. Louis is sixty-seven miles to the northeast.

Categories

Faith & Spirituality

 

 

Recommended Resources


Search for Sullivan on Google, Bing, or Yahoo!