Aviva Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » States » Montana » Cities & Towns » Twin Bridges

Located at the confluence of the Ruby River, Beaverhead River and Big Hole River, which form the Jefferson River, Twin Bridges is a small town in Madison County, Montana. Before the town was founded, the Shoshone and other Indian tribes had established four trails that centered at a natural ford in the Beaverhead River, just north of the current townsite. These trails were used by early settlers and freighting companies. When the Lewis & Clark Expedition came through the area in 1805, they were accompanied by Sacajawea, a Shoshone woman, who was reunited with her tribe near Twin Bridges. The first settler was John Meeks, who made a home there between 1858 and 1861. In 1864, two brothers, Judge M.H. Lott and John T. Lott, came to the area, and built bridges across the Beaverhead River and the Big Hole River the following year. Later, they built another bridge on the Beaverhead River at the Point of Rocks, then they began constructing and improving roads, charging a bridge toll for several years. The settlement was first known as The Bridges, and was incorporated as Twin Bridges in 1902, with Judge M.H. Lott as its first mayor. Twin Bridges is south of Silver Star, northwest of Sheridan, and northeast of Dillon. The Tobacco Root Mountains are just east of town.

Categories

Places to Stay

 

 

Recommended Resources


Search for Twin Bridges on Google, Bing, or Yahoo!