Aviva Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » States » Nebraska » Cities & Towns » Auburn

The city of Auburn, Nebraska was formed from the consolidation of two towns, Calvert and Sheridan, in 1882. The towns joined together primary to gain the voting power to take the county seat from Brownville, a move that was successful when Auburn was named the seat of Nemaha County in 1883. Later, St. George became part of Auburn. Now in northeast Auburn, St. George was platted in the 1850s. Sheridan was surveyed in 1868, just west of St. George, and Calvert began in 1881 when a new railroad depot was selected just south of Sheridan, and named for Thomas E. Calvert, a railroad official. Auburn still supports two downtown areas, one at the courthouse square, the other in Sheridan. The only person to be elected to the US Congress as a member of the Prohibitionist Party, Charles Hiram Randall, was born in Auburn. Auburn is east of Tecumseh, west of Rock Port, and south of Nebraska City.

Categories

Faith & Spirituality

Services & Industries

 

 

Recommended Resources


Search for Auburn on Google, Bing, or Yahoo!