Aviva Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » States » Nebraska » Cities & Towns » Bellevue

Situated eight miles south of Omaha, Bellevue is a city in Sarpy County, Nebraska, across the Missouri River from what was to become the Iowa border. Settled in the 1830s, and incorporated in 1855, Bellevue is the second oldest settlement in Nebraska and the oldest continuous town in the state, and was once the seat of state government. The area was first settled with the building of a fur trading post there in 1822, which served as a trading point with the Omaha, Otoe, Missouri, and Pawnee tribes. French-Canadian fur trappers named the settlement Belle Vue for its views of the Missouri River. Later the trading post was sold to the US government to be used as the Missouri River Indian Agency. In 1833, the Baptist missionaries, Moses and Eliza Merrill, stayed at the Indian agency temporarily before establishing the Moses Merrill Mission eight miles to the west. Colonel Peter Sarpy, a French Creole fur trader, established a trading post across the river, but was active in affairs withint the community that was to become Bellevue, and helped to plat and organize the town.

Categories

Education & Instruction

Faith & Spirituality

People & Society

Things to Do & Places to Go

 

 

Recommended Resources


Search for Bellevue on Google, Bing, or Yahoo!