Aviva Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » States » Nebraska » Cities & Towns » Milford

Situated in Seward County, in southeastern Nebraska, the city of Milford was founded in 1864, when J.L. Davison established a post office there, serving as its first postmaster. The city took its name from a mill that was located at a ford on the Blue River, also built by J.L. Davidson. Although the vote was contested, Milford served as the county seat until 1871, when a surprise election move the shire town to Seward. During a grasshopper plague, in 1874-1876, many early settlers sold their land to Mennonite immigrants. Milford was incorporated as a town in 1882, and as a city in 1964. Milford is south of Seward, north of Dorchester, east of Goehner, and west of Lincoln. Interstate 80 runs east and west through the northern part of the city.

 

 

Recommended Resources


Search for Milford on Google, Bing, or Yahoo!