Aviva Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » States » Nebraska » Cities & Towns » Stratton

The village of Stratton, Nebraska is in Hitchcock County. The first settlement in the area was by C.V. Bailey, who built a log cabin there in 1879. Mail was held there for the Texas Trail cowboys. Known at first as the Frontier Post Office, the name was changed to Stratton in 1881, for Mary Stratton, an early settler who traded her claim to an eighty acre piece of land to the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad, which reached Stratton in 1882. Stratton was incorporated in 1886, although the town’s history was troubled by grasshopper plagues, droughts, and floods. Stratton is located along Highway 34, northeast of Max and southwest of Trenton, with Swanson Lake situated between Stratton and Trenton.

 

 

Recommended Resources


Search for Stratton on Google, Bing, or Yahoo!