Aviva Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » States » New Hampshire » Cities & Towns » Auburn

What is now known as the town of Auburn, in Rockingham County, New Hampshire, was a Native American village by the name of Massabesic in 1624. The Massabesic settlement was destroyed during the French and Indian War, and the area became part of the town of Chester, and was known as Chester Woods, Chester West Parish, and Long Meadow, before it became Auburn, and incorporated as an independent town in 1845. As with the communities by that name in Maine, Massachusetts and New York, Auburn was named for the town in the 18th century poem, The Deserted Village, by Oliver Goldsmith. Massabesic Lake covers 2,500 acres within Auburn and Manchester.

 

 

Recommended Resources


Search for Auburn on Google, Bing, or Yahoo!