Aviva Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » States » New Hampshire » Cities & Towns » Jaffrey

The town of Jaffrey, in Cheshire County, New Hampshire, was first granted by the Massachusetts General Court in 1736 to soldiers from Rowley, Massachusetts, who were returning from the war in Canada, but it was initially known as Rowley-Canada. In 1749, the town was re-chartered by the Mason Proprietors as Monadnock No. 2, also known as Middle Monadnock or Middletown. Settled in 1758, it was re-granted in 1767 and incorporated in 1773 by Colonial Governor John Wentworth, who renamed it for George Jaffrey, a member of a wealthy Portsmouth family. The Contoocook River provided water power for mills but, in the mid-1800s, the area began attracting tourists and summer residents, particularly in the area at the base of Mount Monadnock. Jaffrey is bounded by Dublin, Marlborough, Peterborough, Rindge, Sharon, and Troy. The author, P.J. O’Rourke, was a Jaffrey resident for several years.

Categories

Faith & Spirituality

 

 

Recommended Resources


Search for Jaffrey on Google, Bing, or Yahoo!