Aviva Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » States » New Hampshire » Cities & Towns » Landaff

Landaff is a small town in Grafton County, New Hampshire. Originally, the land was granted, to James Avery and sixty others in 1764, as Whitcherville, but those settlers were unable to meet the terms of the charter, so the territory was re-granted to Dartmouth College in 1770, and named Llandaff, for the Bishop of Llandaff, the chaplain to King George II. Under the Dartmouth Grant, settlements were made, and its first roads and a mill were financed by the college. Landaff was incorporated in 1774. After the Revolutionary War, the original grantees successfully challenged the forfeiture of the first grant, and the college had to abandon its title. Initially, the town was larger than it is today. All of Landaff that was northwest of the Ammonoosuc River was annexed to Lisbon in 1859, and the remainder of the town was divided in 1876, forming the town of Easton.

 

 

Recommended Resources


Search for Landaff on Google, Bing, or Yahoo!