Aviva Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » States » New Hampshire » Cities & Towns » Lee

Settled in 1657, Lee was initially part of Dover Township. In 1735, Durham, which included Lee, separated from Dover, and Lee separated from Durham in 1766, when it was established as an independent township by Colonial Governor Benning Wentworth, and probably named for British General Charles Lee, who later joined the American Revolution. The town includes Wheelwright Pond, named for the Reverend John Wheelwright, founder of Exeter. Wheelwright Pond was the site of a significant battle during King William’s War. Allied with the government of New France, Indians attacked Exeter on July 4, 1690, and were pursued by two infantry companies who overtook them at Wheelwright Pond on July 6. The resulting battle left three officers and fifteen soldiers dead, along with a large number of Indians. Today, Lee is primarily a bedroom community, in Strafford County, with many of its residents connected to the nearby University of New Hampshire.

 

 

Recommended Resources


Search for Lee on Google, Bing, or Yahoo!