Aviva Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » States » New Hampshire » Cities & Towns » Lisbon

The town of Lisbon is in Grafton County, New Hampshire, its primary settlement area being along US Route 302 and the Ammonoosuc River in the southwestern part of the township. Lisbon was originally granted by Colonial Governor Benning Wentworth as Concord in 1763. The following year, it was renamed Chiswick and, in 1768, it was renamed again, this time to Gunthwaite. Governor Levi Woodbury chose the name Lisbon when the town was incorporated in 1824. The town’s early economy include several mills that utilized waterpower from the Ammonoosuc River, particular a narrow, steep waterfall along the river. At one time, three of the five peg mills in the United States were in Lisbon, as was the Parker Young Company, the largest manufacturer of piano sounding boards in the world.

 

 

Recommended Resources


Search for Lisbon on Google, Bing, or Yahoo!