Aviva Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » States » New Hampshire » Cities & Towns » Meredith

Situated along Lake Winnipesaukee, the town of Meredith, New Hampshire is in Belknap County. The settlement was first known as Palmer’s Town, named for Samuel Palmer, a surveyor who laid out much of the land surrounding the lake. In 1748, it was one of the first towns granted by the Masonian Proprietors. Since most of the grantees were from Salem, Massachusetts, Palmer’s Town was renamed New Salem. Settled by Jacob Eaton and Colonel Ebenezer Smith in 1766, it was regranted by Colonial Governor John Wentworth in 1768, and renamed Meredith Village, for Sir William Meredith, a member of Parliament who opposed the imposition of taxes upon the colonies. It is bordered by Center Harbor, Gilford, Laconia, Moultonborough, New Hampton, and Sanbornton. Although farmers grew corn, wheat, rye and potatoes, the area became known for its apple orchards, and today it is a popular tourist destination. Charles A. Busiel, the 45th governor of New Hampshire, was a native of Meredith Village.

Categories

Places to Stay

 

 

Recommended Resources


Search for Meredith on Google, Bing, or Yahoo!