Aviva Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » States » New Hampshire » Cities & Towns » Middleton

Granted by the Masonian Proprietors in 1749, the town of Middleton, in Strafford County, New Hampshire, was named for Sir Charles Middleton, who was in charge of convoy services between Barbados and the Colonies. The land was settled by Europeans just before the onset of the Revolutionary War, with most of its early settlers coming from Lee and Rochester. The land’s soil was rocky and not suitable for most agricultural purposes, but cider was made in large quantities, and maple syrup to a lesser extent. Middleton was incorporated as a town in 1778, and once included Brookfield, which separated in 1794. Middleton is northeast of New Durham, northwest of Milton, and north of Farmington. The center of Middletown is known as Four Corners; it is located at the intersection of Kings Highway, Ridge Road, and New Durham Road.

 

 

Recommended Resources


Search for Middleton on Google, Bing, or Yahoo!