Aviva Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » States » New Hampshire » Cities & Towns » New London

The town of New London, New Hampshire was granted as Heidelberg by the Masonian Proprietors in 1753. However, there is no evidence that the town was ever settled, and the grant lapsed. In 1773, the area was granted as the Alexandria Addition to a new group of speculators who had previously been granted the adjacent township of Alexandria. The new proprietors build no homes in the Alexandria Addition, but did build roads, mills, schools, and a church, then began subdividing their holdings and offering them for sale. By 1779, there were sixteen families in the Alexandria Addition, and they petitioned to incorporate as the town of New London. In 1807, the northern section of New London separated to create the town of Wilmot. Containing mountains, ski areas, and lakes, New London is an attractive recreational destination today.

 

 

Recommended Resources


Search for New London on Google, Bing, or Yahoo!