Aviva Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » States » New Hampshire » Cities & Towns » Tilton

Initially a part of Sanbornton, known as Sanbornton Bridge or Bridge Village, the town of Tilton was separated and incorporated as a town in 1869, named for Nathaniel Tilton, who had established an iron foundry there, as well as the area’s first hotel, the Dexter House. His estate is now part of the Tilton School, a college preparatory institution, his mansion is the home of the Lucian Hunt Library, and his carriage house is not the Helene Grant Daly Art Center. Tilton, New Hampshire includes a portion of the incorporated village of Lochmere. Mary Baker Eddy, the founder of Christian Science, spent her latter teenage years in Tilton, although it was known as Sanbornton Bridge then. Tilton is bounded on the east by Silver and Winnisquam lakes.

Categories

Places to Stay

 

 

Recommended Resources


Search for Tilton on Google, Bing, or Yahoo!