Aviva Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » States » New Hampshire » Cities & Towns » Tuftonboro

Tuftonboro is the only incorporated municipality in New Hampshire that was owned by one man, John Tufton Mason. When New Hampshire separated from Massachusetts in 1741, Mason inherited the Masonian Claim, which included northern New Hampshire. In 1746, he sold them to a group that became known as the Masonian Proprietors, who disposed of the land through grants to settlers prior to the Revolutionary War. In 1750, the town was granted as Tuftonborough, settled around 1780, and incorporated as a town in 1795, named for John Tufton Mason. Located in Carroll County, Tuftonboro includes the unincorporated villages of Tuftonboro Corner, Center Tuftonboro, Melvin Corner, Melvin Village, and Mirror Lake. The town is bounded on the southwest by Lake Winnipesaukee, which includes several islands, Little Bear Island and Cow Island among them.

 

 

Recommended Resources


Search for Tuftonboro on Google, Bing, or Yahoo!