Aviva Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » States » New Hampshire » Cities & Towns » Walpole

The town of Walpole, in Cheshire County, New Hampshire, was first granted by Massachusetts Colonial Governor Jonathan Belcher as Number 3, in a line of Connecticut River fort town, in 1736. Settled that same year, it was referred to as Great Falls or Lunenburg, and a large fort was built there by Colonel Benjamin Bellows to protect against Indian attack. When the boundaries of New Hampshire and Massachusetts were settled in favor of New Hampshire, the town was re-granted by New Hampshire Governor Benning Wentworth as Bellowstown, which was incorporated in 1756. In 1761, the town was renamed Walpole, for Sir Robert Walpole, the first Prime Minister of Great Britain. The abundance of lilacs in Walpole inspired Louisa May Alcott to write her book, Under the Lilacs, while she was a summer resident of the town. Walpole includes the villages of Walpole, North Walpole, and Drewsville.

 

 

Recommended Resources


Search for Walpole on Google, Bing, or Yahoo!