Aviva Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » States » New Hampshire » Cities & Towns » Washington

Washington is a small resort town in Sullivan County, New Hampshire. A forested area with several lakes and ponds Washington includes Pillsbury State Park. The town was granted by Massachusetts Colonial Governor Jonathan Belcher in 1735. First known as Monadnock Number 8, Washington was one of several fort towns that were created in order to protect the colonies from Indian attack. When the area became part of New Hampshire, the town was re-granted by Governor Benning Wentworth at New Concord but, since the requirements of the grant were never met, the charter was revoked. It was re-granted as Camden, and settled in 1768. The American Revolutionary government incorporated the town as Washington in 1776, the first town to be named for General George Washington. The town is bounded by Bradford, Goshen, Hillsborough, Lempster, Marlow, Newbury, Stoddard, and Windsor.

 

 

Recommended Resources


Search for Washington on Google, Bing, or Yahoo!