Aviva Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » States » New Jersey » Cities & Towns » Hillsdale

Originally incorporated as a township in 1898, Hillsdale became a borough in 1923. The two greatest boosts to its population were the coming of the railroad in 1870 and the opening of the George Washington Bridge in the early 1930s. During Colonial times, the area was largely farmland, whose farms were plundered by the armies of both the Americans and the British, and their mercenary Hessians, during the Revolutionary War. Many local farmers were sympathetic to the British Crown; some fled to Canada, while others spied for the British army.

 

 

Recommended Resources


Search for Hillsdale on Google, Bing, or Yahoo!