Aviva Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » States » New Jersey » Cities & Towns » Moonachie

Moonachie, New Jersey was incorporated as a borough in 1910, and believed to have been named for Chief Monaghie, of the Iroquois, who inhabited the local cedar forests. Moonachie is about nine miles from downtown Manhattan. County Road 503 passes through Moonachie, where it is known as Moonachie Road. In 1669, when it was known as the Island of Moonachie, the area was owned by Captain John Berry. During the American Revolution, Moonachie became part of Bergen Township, later becoming part of Lodi Township, before becoming an independent borough.

 

 

Recommended Resources


Search for Moonachie on Google, Bing, or Yahoo!