Aviva Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » States » New Jersey » Cities & Towns » Spotswood

Incorporated as a borough in 1908, Spotswood was initially spelled Spotteswoode, dating back to its original settlement in 1685. The town’s first white settler was James Johnstone, who had come from Spotteswoode, Scotland. At first, the town was a stagecoach stop, then becoming the home of several mills. Before becoming an independent community, Spotswood was part of South Amboy, then Monroe Township. In 1908, Spotswood had three taverns, all on the north side of Main Street, and three churches on the south side; these became known as the Devil’s Side and the Lord’s Side, respectively.

 

 

Recommended Resources


Search for Spotswood on Google, Bing, or Yahoo!