Aviva Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » States » Missouri » Cities & Towns » Carl Junction

The city of Carl Junction is in western Jasper County, in southwestern Missouri, near the borders of Kansas to the west, and Oklahoma to the southwest. Oronogo is to the east of Carl Junction, Webb City is to the southeast, and Waco is to the northwest. The city was built around a trading post erected by Daniel Hunt in 1848, about three miles southeast of the current town center. Lead was mined in the area before the Civil War, but no large deposits were found until 1870, one of which led to the founding of Joplin, about eight miles south of Carl Junction. A second set of railroad spurs were built to connect Joplin to the rail lines that were already in place, and the Kansas coal mines. Several towns were founded as way stations for these new spurs, one of which was Carl Junction, which was platted by Charles L. Skinner in 1877, and named for Skinner’s original German name, Carl. In 1892, the fossilized remains of two adult and two infant elephants of an extinct subspecies were discovered at the twenty-foot level of a mine operated by Silas A. Stuckey on the south end of the town. The city is contiguous with Joplin on the south and east. It is served by Missouri Highways 171 and 43.

 

 

Recommended Resources


Search for Carl Junction on Google, Bing, or Yahoo!