Aviva Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » States » Missouri » Cities & Towns » Winston

The town of Winston, in Colfax Township, Daviess County, Missouri, was formed in 1871 after the Rock Island Railroad extended its tracks through the area, establishing a depot in Winston. The town was named for General Joseph W. Winston, the son of Colonel Joseph Winston, an American Revolutionary War hero for whom Winston-Salem, North Carolina was partly named. General Winston served in the War of 1812, and was appointed Major General in the North Carolina militia before coming to the Platte Purchase region of Missouri in 1838, settling a few miles southeast of Platte City. The town’s progress was hampered at a crucial time in its development by a dispute over the titles to lands within the town. Its post office was established in 1872, and a subscription school was built in 1873. The town was incorporated as a village in 1875. Currently, Winston is served by US Highway 69 and Missouri Highway Y, which intersect in the village. Interstate Highway 35 is just west of the village. Nearby communities include Altamont to the northeast, Weatherby to the northwest, and Mabel to the southwest. St. Joseph is about forty-five miles to the west.

 

 

Recommended Resources


Search for Winston on Google, Bing, or Yahoo!