Aviva Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » States » Michigan » Cities & Towns » Addison

The village of Addison, Michigan straddles the boundary between Rollin Township on the south and Woodstock Township on the north.

Steer Street (US Highway 127) intersects Main Street (Addison Road) in the center of the village. Manitou Beach Road becomes Lake Street, then Talbot Street, when it enters the southeast part of the village, intersecting Main Street just east of the center of the village. Addison Millpond takes up a large portion of the northeastern quarter of the village.

Manitou Beach is 2.5 miles southeast, Devils Lake is 4.7 miles northeast, and Somerset Center is 7.2 miles northwest of Addison.

The village began as a settlement that grew up around a grist mill built along Bean Creek, south of the current location of the village, by John Talbot, who had come to the area in 1834, when the area was a dense forest and inhabited by the Potawatomi people. Although the settlement was unincorporated, a post office was established there under the name of Manetue, with Brayton Brown as the first postmaster.

When Bean Creek failed to produce the water power necessary to run his milling operations, Talbot dismantled the mill and moved it to the current location of Addison, restarting operations in 1836. The settlement and post office moved with the mill, and was renamed Peru in 1838, and changed to Brownell's Mills in 1840. In 1840, a new mill was added to the settlement by Darius Jackson, and the post office was renamed Jackson's Mills in 1844. In 1847, a portion of the settlement was platted and named Harrison, although the village never took that name.

Finally, in 1851, Addison J. Comstock, a banker, bought a large amount of land in the area, platted a townsite, and named it Addison. The post office took that name in January of 1852, and the village was incorporated in 1893.

By 1883, the village had grown large enough to attract the railroad, which brought further growth, including a three-story hotel and a newspaper.

In 2014, a radio station began broadcasting from Addison. Known as Q95 the Panther at 95.7 FM, WQAR-LP is owned and operated by students of Addison Community Schools, offering a classic rock format. Addison Community Schools is a PK-12th-grade public school district, operating a Head Start early childhood program, a preschool, elementary school, middle school, and high school.

Topics relating to the village of Addison, Michigan is the focus of this category, not to be confused with Addison Township in Oakland County.

 

 

Recommended Resources


Search for Addison on Google, Bing, or Yahoo!