Aviva Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » States » Michigan » Cities & Towns » Alba

Situated in the Jordan Valley of Antrim County, Michigan, the census-designated place and unincorporated community of Alba is partly in Star Township and partly in Chestonia Township.

US Highway 131 passes through the community, northeast, and southwest. County Road 42 (Alba Highway) intersects US-131 near the center of the town. Mancelona is 6.7 miles southwest of Alba, along US-131.

Originally known as Cascade, the settlement began as flag station for Grand Rapids and Indiana Railroad in 1876. At that time, it was Forest Home Township. In 1877, a post office was established there, with William J. Barker as the first postmaster. Barker platted the village in 1878, and the post office was renamed, Alba. The railroad depot took that name in 1884. It is thought that the town was named for Alba Haywood, a popular local entertainer.

Alba became a census-designated place, with defined boundaries and population statistics, at the time of the 2010 census.

The focus of this category is on Alba, Michigan. Websites focused on the town are, of course, appropriate for this category. Individuals, churches, schools, organizations, businesses, and industries in Alba may also be found here.

 

 

Recommended Resources


Search for Alba on Google, Bing, or Yahoo!