Aviva Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » States » Michigan » Cities & Towns » Allendale

Allendale, Michigan is a census-designated place that occupies the northern two-thirds of Allendale Charter Township, in Ottawa County.

The Grand River forms the northern and eastern border of Allendale. The Bass River Recreation Area is in the northwestern part of the village, while the main campus of Grand Valley State University occupies the southeastern portion of Allendale.

M-45 (Lake Michigan Drive) is the chief route through the community. Hudsonville, Jenison, and Pearline are other unincorporated communities within Allendale Township. Coopersville is 9.3 miles north of Allendale, while Grand Rapids is 14.7 miles to the east.

The Interurban Transit Partnership (The Rapid) provides bus transport throughout the eastern part of Allendale, Grand Valley State University, Grand Rapids, and the surrounding regions, connecting Allendale and GVSU with Grand Rapids and GVSU's Pew campus.

Allendale was first settled by a Welsh immigrant by the name of Richard Roberts, who came in 1842. The township was organized in his home in 1846 and named for Mrs. Agnes B. Allen, the first person on the tax roll in the area and the widow of Hannibal Allen, the son of the Revolutionary War hero, Ethan Allen. Mrs. Allen owned a hundred acres in Allendale Township.

Richard Roberts became the first postmaster on March 24, 1852. The post office was closed in 1916 but reopened on November 1, 1954. Today, the Allendale post office serves most of the township, and parts of Blendon and Georgetown townships.

The focus of this category is on Allendale, Michigan. Websites representing government agencies, industries, businesses, churches, schools, organizations, and individuals in Allendale are appropriate for this category, as are informational sites that have a focus on Allendale.

Categories

Education & Instruction

Property Sales & Rentals

 

 

Recommended Resources


Search for Allendale on Google, Bing, or Yahoo!