Aviva Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » States » Michigan » Cities & Towns » Almont

Settled in 1828, and founded in 1833, Almont is the sixth-oldest village in Michigan.

Surrounded by Almont Township, in the southeastern corner of Lapeer County, Almont is 5.5 miles southeast of Dryden, 7.7 miles south of Imlay City, 8.8 miles northeast of Leonard, and 12.2 miles southwest of Capac. The chief route through the village is M-35, which forms Main Street and North Van Dyke Road within the village, and the North Branch of the Clinton River flows through the southern part of the village.

Almont is a home-rule village with a council-manager form of government, in which the village manager is appointed by a seven-member council. The village government shares a building with the Almont Township government. the Village-Township municipal building was constructed in 1979 and expanded in 2002.

The Almont Community Parks and Recreation Board maintains Almont Community Park, Murphy Park, and Burley Park. The Community Park is located at the end of Water Street. The park includes a kitchen and pavilion, a sledding hill, playground equipment, and a baseball diamond. Murphy Park is a small memorial park along M-35 in the southern part of the village, and Burley Park is a small memorial park at the corner of West St. Clair and Branch streets that is used for remembrance services on Memorial Day.

James Deneen was perhaps the first European-American to come to the region in 1828, but the village was founded in 1833 when Daniel Black purchased land there from the US government, building a log house on what is now Main Street. A post office was established there on January 29, 1835, and named Bristol, for Oliver Bristol, the second permanent settler. Dr. Caleb Carpenter served as the first postmaster.

The village was officially platted and recorded as Newburg in 1836. On January 5, 1846, James Thompson, who donated the town clock, had the village's name changed to Almont, in honor of Mexican General Juan N. Almonte. The village was incorporated in 1855.

Settlers came to the village and surrounding area from Ohio, New York, and Pennsylvania, attracted by its rich farmland at $1.25 per acre.

During the settlement of Lapeer and Sanilac counties, Almont became an important community. A narrow-gauge branch of the Port Huron and Northwest Railroad reached Almont in 1882, although it was never extended past that point, and was abandoned in 1942. An electric streetcar connected Almont with Detroit in 1914, and electricity was provided to the village at the same time, making it one of the first communities in the area to be served by electric power. Later, the streetcar was extended to Imlay City and remained in service until 1925.

Topics related to the village of Almont, Michigan is the focus of this category. These will include, of course, websites representing the village government, as well as those of local businesses, industries, schools, churches, organizations, and individuals.

Categories

Places to Shop

Services & Industries

 

 

Recommended Resources


Search for Almont on Google, Bing, or Yahoo!