Aviva Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » States » Michigan » Cities & Towns » Armada

Armada, Michigan is an incorporated village in Armada Township, Macomb County, in the southern part of the Thumb area of the Lower Peninsula.

Armada is served by Armada Ridge Road (Main Street) and North Avenue (Fulton Street), which intersect in the north-central part of the village. Armada Center Road forms the northern boundary of the village. The city of Richmond is 8 miles east-southeast, and Memphis is 8.9 miles northeast, while the village of Romeo is 8.5 miles southwest, New Haven is 10.4 miles southeast, and Almont is 12.8 miles northwest of Armada.

The first land purchase in the area that was to become Armada was made by John Proctor in 1825, and by 1832 twenty-three more families had bought land. Prior to 1832, it was part of Ray Township. With more families moving to the area, a meeting was called to organize a separate township. The proposal was won by two votes, and Armada Township was founded.

The village was founded by Elijah Burke in 1833, although it was first called Burke's Corners. The first town meeting was held in the home of Henry B. Ten Eyck in 1834, and he became the first postmaster on May 7 of that year.

More settlers were attracted to the village after residents improved an old Indian trail for use as a road in the early 1830s, which became part of the migrant road network between Romeo and Port Huron, and is currently known as Armada Ridge Road.

For a brief time, Burke's Corners was renamed Honeoye, for Honeoye Falls, New York, the boyhood home of Elisha D. Andrews, who had purchased 320 acres in Armada Township in 1831.

During the Civil War, John Huff, an Armada resident serving in the Union Army, shot and killed Confederate General J.E.B. Stuart on May 11, 1864. Only twenty days later, Huff received a head wound during the Battle of Hawes Shop, and died a month later.

The village was incorporated as Armada in 1867. By 1900, the village had a stagecoach stop, bakery, several blacksmith shops, a drug store, grain mill, seven grocery stores, three hardware stores, three hotels, two implement dealers, a lumberyard, an opera house, theater, and five doctors. The first school in the village was at Selleck's Corners, and before long there were one-room schoolhouses all over the township. These were consolidated in the 1940s and now includes four campuses. The old Armada High School now serves as the administrative offices of Armada Area Schools.

The village has hosted the Armada Fair since 1873, which emphasizes its ties to agriculture.

The focus of this category is on the village of Armada, Michigan. Topics related to the village, including websites representing businesses, schools, places of worship, organizations, and individuals in Armada, are appropriate for this category. As the Armada post office serves the larger Armada Township, sites showing an Armada postal address may be found here, as well.

Categories

Faith & Spirituality

 

 

Recommended Resources


Search for Armada on Google, Bing, or Yahoo!