Aviva Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » States » Michigan » Cities & Towns » Augusta

Not to be confused with Augusta Township, further to the east, the village of Augusta, Michigan is largely in Ross Township, with a small portion extends south into Charleston Township.

Augusta is in northeastern Kalamazoo County. The chief route through the village is M-96, which is known as Michigan Avenue within the village. The city of Galesburg is 4.9 miles southwest, and Springfield is 6.6 miles to the east, with Battle Creek just beyond it. Kalamazoo is 13.7 miles west of Augusta. The village of Richland is 4.9 miles northwest, and Climax is 11.1 miles south.

The village is bordered by the Kalamazoo River to the south, and it is just across the river from the Fort Custer Recreation Area. Angus Creek flows through the center of the village, emptying into the Kalamazoo River.

Dr. Salmon King is credited with being the first permanent European-American settler in the area when he came with his family in 1832, building a log cabin, and then an inn. He sold his property to Ezra Convis, Sands McCamly, and Epaphroditus Ransom in 1836.

Ransom, who became the 7th governor of Michigan in 1848, platted the village site. A post office was established on March 9, 1838, with George Rigby as the first postmaster. Rigby named the post office for his former home in Maine. The post office was closed on January 1, 1842. However, on December 16, 1861, the Charleston post office was moved to Augusta and renamed. Augusta was incorporated as a village in 1869.

The focus of this category is on the village of Augusta, Michigan. Websites whose focus is on the village are appropriate for this category, as are those of Augusta businesses, industries, schools, places of worship, organizations, attractions, and events.

 

 

Recommended Resources


Search for Augusta on Google, Bing, or Yahoo!