Aviva Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » States » Michigan » Cities & Towns » Baldwin

Not to be confused with either of the Michigan townships with that name, the incorporated village of Baldwin is the county seat of Lake County, and is situated in the Huron-Manistee National Forests in the Western Lower Peninsula.

Baldwin straddles Webber Township and Pleasant Plains Township, although it has an independent municipal government.

The primary routes through the village are US 10 and M-37. Within the village US 10 and M-37 run contiguous as Michigan Avenue, entering the village in the north, then US-10 turns to the east, becoming Washington Street, while M-37 continues south as Michigan Avenue. The village of Luther is 17.9 miles to the northeast, Reed City is 18.6 miles east, the village of Custer is 21.8 miles west, and Walkerville is 25.3 miles southwest of Baldwin.

Lake Michigan is about thirty-five miles west of the village, while several smaller lakes are just north and northeast of Baldwin. These include Bush Lake, a small portion of which is within the village boundaries, and Cashion Lake, Government Lake, Little Star Lake, Mench Lake, and Putman Lake. The Baldwin River winds through a portion of the southeastern portion of the village, and the Pere Marquette River is south of Baldwin.

Given the village's position in the national forest and the surrounding lakes, rivers, and streams, as well as its distance from any large cities, Baldwin is primarily a tourist community, whose economy is significantly dependent upon the summer months, when people come to camp, canoe, hunt, and fish.

The North Lake Correctional Facility, a private, for-profit prison, is located in Baldwin. Built in 1999, it was originally intended to house youth offenders, the facility now houses maximum-security inmates.

Settled in 1870, Baldwin was first known as Hannibal, for an early settler who lived north of the current location of the courthouse. Before long, Isaac Grant opened a store in the community and headed a committee to change the name of the village to Baldwin in 1872, in honor of Henry P. Baldwin, who was then governor of Michigan. On December 5, 1872, a post office was established in what was then known as Baldwin City, with Colonel F. Basom as postmaster. The Marquette Railroad established a station in Baldwin in 1873, and the community was named the county seat in 1874. On May 28, 1875, the name of the village was shortened to Baldwin. In 1887, Baldwin was incorporated as a village.

The focus of this category is on the village of Baldwin, Michigan. Websites featuring information about the village are appropriate for this category, as are websites representing businesses, industries, schools, places of worship, organizations, attractions, and events in Baldwin.

Categories

Places to Stay

 

 

Recommended Resources


Search for Baldwin on Google, Bing, or Yahoo!