Aviva Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » States » Michigan » Cities & Towns » Baraga

Situated in the northwestern Upper Peninsula, the village of Baraga, Michigan is on L'Anse Bay, the lower part of the Keweenaw Bay on Lake Superior.

Although its government is independent of the township, the village of Baraga is in eastern Baraga Township, in Baraga County. The village was founded on a site occupied by a Native American community, and today the village is part of the L'Anse Indian Reservation. The only other incorporated municipality in the county is the village of L'Anse, across the bay from Baraga. The village is accessed by US-41 and M-38. The city of Houghton is about twenty-eight miles to the north, and Ishpeming is fifty-eight miles east-southeast, both accessed via US-41.

Indian Trails operates a commercial bus route, with connections to Wisconsin, Illinois, and other parts of Michigan. The Baragaland Senior Center transports seniors from their homes to the senior center and back, as well as destination trips to Houghton and Marquette once a month if enough passengers are registered for the trip. The Canadian National Railway operates a freight line that travels through the village, parallel to US-41.

Built in 1993, the Baraga Correctional Facility, primarily a maximum-security prison, is in the southwestern part of the village.

Along US-41 is a mixture of older and newer commercial development, including a couple of lodging establishments, service-oriented businesses, tribal offices, and residences. Along the waterfront, on US-41, is the village's water treatment plant, the Baraga County Historical Museum, the village marina, and a park. North of the US-41 intersection with M-38 is the post office, a cemetery, state offices, an industrial park, and some residences.

M-38 includes single-family and multi-family residences, tribal properties, lodging facilities, and the Ojibway Casino.

Baraga's business district is along Superior Street, with parallels US-41 to the west. Residential spaces are located above commercial spaces in some of the downtown buildings. Village industries are primarily to the north and southeast of the village's main residential areas, although small-scale industrial businesses are scattered throughout the village.

The Baraga Marina includes facilities to moor recreational watercraft, boat launching facilities, water, electricity, a pump-out station, and a bait shop. The Baraga Municipal Recreation Building Complex has indoor ice for skating, as well as a regulation-size hockey rink. It also has changing rooms and concession spaces. The Baraga Children's Park has playground equipment, picnic tables, benches, and a restroom. Baraga State Park is just south of the village. It features a hiking trail, playground, a horseshoe court, toilets, and a sanitation station for campers, as well as pedestrian access to Keweenaw Bay.

Police protection is provided by the Village Police Department, the County Sheriff's Department, the Michigan State Police, and the Keweenaw Bay Indian Community Tribal Police. Fire protection is provided by the Baraga Volunteer Fire Department, and emergency medical services are provided by Bay Ambulance, based in Baraga.

The first Europeans in the area were French explorers, fur traders, and missionaries, who came in the 17th century. Father Frederick Baraga established a Roman Catholic mission at Assinins, south of what is now Baraga, in 1843, and the county, township, and the village took his name.

Early settlers were attracted to the region for its forest products, mining, fishing, and agriculture. Today, however, its economy is focused on light manufacturing, tourism, casino gaming, and government services, which includes the prison.

A post office was established on June 19, 1869, with Henry Houghton as postmaster. Originally, the post office was name Bristol, but it was renamed Baraga on May 11, 1870. The post office was closed on December 18, 1871, but restored on March 26, 1872, and remains in service today. The village was in Houghton County until Baraga County was organized in 1875. Baraga was incorporated as a village in 1891.

The focus of this category is on the village of Baraga, Michigan. Websites representing the village government, as well as those of local businesses, industries, schools, places of worship, organizations, attractions, and events are appropriate for this category.

 

 

Recommended Resources


Search for Baraga on Google, Bing, or Yahoo!