Aviva Directory » Local & Global » North America » United States » States » Michigan » Cities & Towns » Bay Port

Situated in the Thumb region of Michigan's Lower Peninsula, Bay Port is an unincorporated community and census-designated place in western Huron County. It is in eastern Fairhaven Township, with a small portion extending into McKinley Township.

The community is on the shore of Wild Fowl Bay, on the southeast side of Saginaw Bay, which is part of Lake Huron.

The chief routes through the community are M-25, also known as Unionville Road, and M-142, also known as Pigeon Road. The village of Pigeon is 6.9 miles east, Sebewaing is 11.3 miles south-southwest, and Owendale is 12.7 miles south-southeast, while the City of Bad Axe is 22.8 miles east of Bay Port.

Carl H. Heisterman is credited with founding the town in 1851, naming it Geneva, which was later changed to Switzerland, then Wild Fowl Port. When the post office at Ora Labora was moved to the shoreline on March 19, 1872, the town took its current name of Bay Port.

The historic town of Ora Labora, only a couple of miles north of Bay Port, was founded in December of 1862 when the Rev. Emil Gottlob Baur led fifty families from his congregation, the Christian German Agricultural and Benevolent Society, in establishing a colony in which members could pray, work, and live according to Methodist teachings. A post office was established there on May 15, 1863. The venture failed, largely because most of its members were from the urban working class, and lacked the skills necessary to survive in a Michigan rural environment.

In 1880, the Saginaw, Tuscola and Huron Railroad extended its track through the community. In 1883, W.J. Webber, who had control of the railway, brought tourists from East Saginaw for rock hunting excursions. He acquired 160 acres of land near Bay Port, establishing a quarry from which he offered stone products that competed with similar stone from Ohio, transporting it by rail to markets. Around 1900, the land was transferred to the railroad, which established a station there, known as the Bay Port Stone Quarry, although the official name of the quarry was Bay Port Lime and Stone.

Due to its location on Saginaw Bay, the community became known for successful fisheries. Two major fisheries were the Gillingham Fishery, which began in 1886, and the Bay Port Fish Company, founded in 1895.

The Bay Port Stone Quarry nad the Bay Port Fish Docks are still in operation today.

The focus of this category is on the unincorporated village of Bay Port, although any sites that discuss the nearby former community of Ora Labora may be found here, as well. Topics related to the community or any businesses, industries, schools, churches, organizations, attractions, and events are appropriate for this category.

 

 

Recommended Resources


Search for Bay Port on Google, Bing, or Yahoo!